Lots of stories have bumpy starts right?

Well Milo’s was a little bumpy indeed…

The night I rescued him he was so cuddly and sweet, I didn’t expect there to be anything wrong.

The next two days he refused to eat anything…we tried dry food, wet food, gourmet dog food, and even boiled chicken. He wasn’t interested in any of it and would barely drink water.

I already had an appointment with our vet to get him fully examined and his first set of shots. The vet seemed very concerned and mentioned that sometimes dogs take a bit to transition to a new place, but since he was a rescue he wanted to run some more tests just to be sure.

The results came back positive for Canine Parvovirus.

For those of you who don’t know Canine Parvovirus also known as parvo is the #1 killer of puppies. Most deaths from parvovirus occur within 48 to 72 hours following the onset of clinical signs.

From my understanding; there is no specific drug that will kill the virus in an infected dog. The treatment just supports the dogs body system until their immune system can fight the viral infection themselves.

During this treatment, I had to give Milo medicine every 3-4 hours. I had to make sure he was drinking water regularly and eating a little bit every few hours. After the first day from visiting the vet, Milo finally ate some boiled chicken.

I was so thankful for this and it gave me hope. From that moment on I made sure he was attached to my hip.

I’m sure you all have heard of the term “hover-mom” I was the exact definition of that to a T. I was working full time and going to school full time so it made things a little harder, but I was lucky to have an understanding boss and oblivious teachers. haha

I had a big basket that I filled with soft fluffy blankets, toys, and Milo’s favorite stuffed animal frog. That’s what I kept him in at work and every hour I’d take him out and put him on a pee pad so he could go potty and get some food and water. At school, however, since my classes were no longer than an hour, I would just wrap him in one of the blankets and place him in my lap or on my desk right in front of me.

Since he was so sick and was still a young puppy, he slept throughout the entire day, only waking up to go potty, to eat, or to take medicine.

He seemed to be getting stronger and more playful as the days passed. After three months, I took him in for his final visit with the veterinarian and got the news that he was completely free of the virus! Our vet was shocked he survived and didn’t think he’d see Milo again.

Milo did it, he pulled through and didn’t give up and he beat parvo.

I could finally breathe again. My puppy was perfectly healthy and we could finally start our adventures!


Please be aware that parvo is more common than people think, whether you are rescuing or buying your next dog. Always make sure to take them in for their check-ups and treat them like a family member from the moment you get them.

Leave a Reply